Lightning is a leading cause of storm-related fatalities globally. A lightning strike can cause severe heart attacks, while some victims may appear to die a few days later if rescued but have severe brain damage.
According to NWS Storm Data, the United States has averaged 43 lightning fatalities per year over the previous 30 years (1989-2018). Only around 10% of those hit by lightning dies, leaving the other 90% with varying degrees of impairment. In the previous ten years (2009-2018), the United States has averaged 27 lightning fatalities.
As you can see, a lightning strike can be dangerous. That is the primary reason why you need lightning early warning systems. In this piece, we will take a deep dive into this topic.
So, let’s start!
A specialized lighting detecting system is the most reliable technique for giving lightning early warning. Approximately 90% of thunderstorms produce lightning by the time they reach within 12 miles. Therefore, your lightning warning system must offer sufficient notice of an impending storm.
10% of thunderstorms produce no warning. The initial flash will occur close or overhead, so it is critical to rely on technologies that detect more than lightning.
The ideal system will provide ample notice before the storm moves overhead and warn of the danger of overhead lightning before it strikes. In addition, the advanced warning allows managers and operators of high-risk locations to warn employees, visitors, or participants in both circumstances.
A lightning detector detects lightning strikes caused by thunderstorms. Ground-based sensors use numerous antennas; mobile sensors use a direction and a sense antenna in the same area as space-based sensors.
Ground-based and mobile detectors use radio direction-finding techniques and a study of the distinctive frequencies generated by lightning to compute the direction and severity of lightning from their current position. Directly observing lightning range, bearing, and intensity may be accomplished using satellite space-based detectors.
Here are some reasons why lightning early warning systems during severe weather conditions are so beneficial.
Extreme weather conditions, such as strong thunderstorms, can be challenging, especially when they hit without notice. If you have a lightning early warning system, you will have enough time to prepare. A lightning strike, besides being incredibly dangerous for human life and also cause a power outage, wildfires, and property damage. As a result, you must be ready to deal with such circumstances.
Lightening Early Warning Systems can help you rescue your family members from danger during a thunderstorm. An app like Vyomet will warn you of any impending thunderstorms, lightning strikes, and their intensity. As a result, you can prevent your children from going out or refrain from working and staying at home.
Assume you intend to take a vacation. In that situation, knowing the weather conditions in the area you plan to visit is essential. For example, during a violent thunderstorm or a lightning strike, hilly terrain and high-density vegetation areas, in particular, might be dangerous.
Thunderstorms, in general, and lightning strikes, in particular, will continue to endanger human lives indefinitely. Unfortunately, we cannot tackle lightning strikes with preventative devices. We can only behave wisely and seek shelter when a storm threatens.
A reliable Lightening Early Warning System is useful in a variety of ways. Vyomet, a weather prediction and warning app developed by Hydenmet, is now available. As a result, it might save you from many unnecessary losses in terms of money and health.